Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The List

     There are some songs that stick with you no matter what. There is a hard list of songs that you could listen to all day on repeat and then do it again the next day. Some are sad, some are angry and some are just plain stupid. But they are yours. Being a child of the late 80's, many of these songs on my list are from the 90's. This will never throughout the course of my life change. However I will listen to almost anything. I am not a country music fan but I can appreciate what they do, just too much bitching and whining for me. There is something about music that makes everyone feel free for even just 2 minutes. This is my list, in no particular order.

1. Alanis- You Outta Know
     This goes without saying. It probably tops many of these kinds of lists. No matter where I am, I jam to this song. Even the acoustic version can burn into your veins. Melting into millions of peoples relationships over almost 20 years since its release, must be one of the best accomplishments of this song. This song applies to everyone at at least one point in their lives. "And every time I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it", is the most brilliant line in the song, we all want someone to be mad we found someone else, even for just a night. She is one angry bitch on this album and it is nothing less than a beautiful composition of true and blind rage. 

2. Four Seasons- December 1963
     I love this song because it's catchy and timeless. I mainly love this song because someone once told me they met and fell in love with my mother while hearing this. That person did their humanly best to raise me and I respect him for that, even though it was beyond his skill set. It's perfectly romantic and honest. 

3. Biz Markie- Just a Friend
     I know, I know, but you know you love it too. As tone def and ugly as this obese black man is, there is no way you can ever turn this song off when it comes on the radio. Every now and again I find myself singing it to Daisy when the mood strikes. "Daisy you, got what I neeeeeeeeeed..."

4. Stone Temple Pilots- Creep
     I love this man so much. He is a beautiful junkie. I have a feeling he wrote this song explicitly about himself. I love this song because I believe we all feel the same way about ourselves at one point or another. 

5. Fuel- Going to California/ Daniel
     Yes I know these are not Fuel's songs, however, they are song beautifully. Daniel is generally the same arrangement as the original (Elton John) but with a more sincere and believable quality. I actually can feel how this man feels about his brother. Going to California is nothing short of genius. They take their time with the song unlike the original, I felt like that one was a bit rushed. 

6. Coolio- Gangstas Paradise
     Amazing. Of course I love the movie Dangerous Minds and have seen it hundreds of times. I want this song to played at my funeral. 

7. Tom Petty- Into the Great Wide Open
     This song shows the possibilities in life. Eddie wanted something, he went and got it and then he realized that it was overrated. Story of every ones life. Tom always has a beautiful positive and almost mocking way of making a joke or sarcastic jab at the songs purpose and meaning with his light and pop-ish sound. This is why he is my all time favorite human. 

8. Hootie and The Blowfish- Running From an Angel
     This song hits close to home with me. Everyone knows I love my mother more then anything. And even though I love the man who raised me and I respect him for doing so, I know he was horrible to my mother at times and even as a child I wanted to ask him what is his problem. This is a smart and meaningful song who was probably written by someone who has witnessed this first hand. 

9. Natalie Merchant- Beloved Wife
     I do not know one person who has single-handedly written a better song. Especially from a man to a woman. I cannot even put into words how I feel about this song. 

10. Neil Young- Hey Hey, My My
     Makes so much sense, and was completely appropriate for the time period and even more now. "artists" now don't even know how to play an instrument. That is all I can say. 

     Thanks as always--- <3 R

No comments:

Post a Comment